Thursday, September 8, 2016

A Stab at Poetry

I have been reading a lot of poetry lately, mostly old stuff from the late 19th, early 20th century of Yiddish, Italian, or Latin American origin.  So I decided to give it a go myself.





Heartbreak and Hope



Caught in the past like a prisoner
With walls my historical shrine
hands are agape at the immovable shapes
and barriers of mental design

I have lost many loved ones and comrades
I love lost many struggles as well
The pain accumulates daily
and inside I am stuck here to dwell

Will we make it through this together
collecting tears and blood while we travel
will friendship and solidarity bind us
or will hope of the people unravel

And though time continues eternal
It breaks failures and losses away
it destroys the rotting of friendships lost
and prepares for a very new day

I may not be there to see it
I may be crushed underneath its embrace
but one of these days the workers will triumph
with freedom for the human race

No comments:

Post a Comment