Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Review: The Master and Margarita

The Master and Margarita The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I am very thankful to Dan to showing me this book, which would have had even more influence on me had I read it a few months earlier.

It is a Faust like story taking place in Russia with the Devil and his minions traveling through Moscow causing trouble and setting up multiple threads of peoples lives toward destruction or pain. Two characters are particularly effected and connected to a story traversing 2,000 years.

Reading this, I had been reminded how much I loved reading Russian literature which includes all matters of psychological issues and a manic/agitated pace which is indescribable elsewhere. I didn't give it 4 or 5 stars because I never felt particular sympathy for most of the characters, nor did I feel pain or relief when good things happened to them (maybe with the exception of Rimsky). Still a good iconic read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment