Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Review: Gardens of the Moon

Gardens of the Moon Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book series has been rated highly across reddit and other platforms as one of the best fantasy series ever written. I know its just the first book, but I really dont see it so far. Some of the characters and writing is really riveting, but you really have no idea how the magic system works. There are gods kinda thrown in without any idea of their motivations and why they even give a shit. I like the political intrigue of the Empire on a mission of expanse and the ramifications of a new empress and her murder squads of "claws," but with one or 2 minor exceptions I dont really care about any of the characters that much.

There are deus ex machinas a plenty, tons of situations of a character being mauled and then not dying.....I started to feel a little meh after about half way in.

The 2 exceptions are a wizard who survives a massacre and has to figure out what is going on and an elf demi god who travels around in a floating moon fortress...lol

I am going to give the second book a chance, hopefully it is better than the first. 3 out of 5.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment