Monday, June 11, 2018

Review: Best Served Cold

Best Served Cold Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have never read a book about revenge which was as visceral as this one before. What starts out as an intense drive to pay back a betrayal turns into a bloody and unrelenting shit show which makes one question whether revenge is every really worth it.

This book is like a combination of the Count of Montecristo and Game of thrones but even more depressing... and ruthless. While I loved the First Law trilogy which preceded this book, I liked this story even more. It was amazingly powerful and poignant and the best story I have ever read dealing with themes of vengence.

The book follows some side characters in the original trilogy and a few others and really fills out another part of the world, which seems a bit like 15th century Italian city states, complete with mercenary armies, and ruthless political machinations. Rated it 5 stars!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment