Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Review: Before They Are Hanged

Before They Are Hanged Before They Are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The second book in this series was even better than the first. I have read few gritty fantasy stories that are worthy of note. This ranks up there with the Black Company and following a little bit behind game of thrones in its character creation and in the unexpected happening.

This story is not always filled with happy endings, but it is filled with some of the most vivid action sequences of any story I have ever read. Furthermore it critiques power, certain ideas of masculinity, makes it unclear in many cases who is actually a "good guy", and meanwhile weaves together interesting cultural, political, and social differences between different lands. Not the best story of this type I have read, but definitely hard to put down. Battles, intrigue, and lots of weird awkward sexual encounters.

Logen Nine-Fingers is Brock Sampson/Conan. I still find Glocta, the tortured and crippled ex hero to be really interesting, and cant wait to see where this leads.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment